Call the 24-Hour Poison Help Line for Additional Support:
Who Uses Inhalants?
Inhalants are mostly used by tweens and teens. They often try inhalants before they try other substances because inhalants are easier to get.
Signs That Someone is Using Inhalants
- Chemical odors on breath or clothing
- Paint or other stains on face, hands or clothes
- Hidden empty spray paint or solvent containers and chemical-soaked rags or clothing
- Red or runny eyes or nose
- Drunk or disoriented appearance
- Slurred speech
- Nausea or loss of appetite
- Inattentiveness, lack of coordination, irritability and depression
- Talk to your children about the dangers of inhalant abuse and how to deal with peer pressure.
- Know what substances are often misused as inhalants, and monitor these products if you are concerned.