Kansas Poisoning Statistics
Did you know that poisoning is the leading cause of death due to injury in the U.S.?
- In 2022, the Kansas Poison Center handled 17,829 calls from the public and from healthcare providers across the state
- We received calls from all 105 counties and from every hospital in the State of Kansas.
- One out of every 4 calls about poison exposures were from doctors, nurses, pharmacists and other healthcare providers needing assistance with the diagnosis, management and treatment of poisoned patients.
- Approximately 90% of exposures occurred at a residence, but they can also occur in the workplace, schools or anywhere else.
- Children under the age of 6 accounted for almost half of all exposures (40%). However, as in previous years, many of the more clinically serious cases occurred among teens & and adults.
- Nearly 7 out of 10 cases were managed at the site of the call, which is usually at home.
- The majority of the cases were a result of an unintentional exposure to a substance (70%); however, we are seeing an increase in intentional poisonings in recent years.
- Pain relievers were the most common drug substance discussed on calls.
- Household cleaners were the most common nondrug substance discussed on calls.